Amigos de los Rios is a founding member and active participant in the Metropolitan Greenspaces Alliance – a group of conservation organizations working across Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Portland and San Francisco areas – collaborating on best practices and science to meet the challenges of connecting the urban environment to the natural environment for the benefit of the people and nature within urban areas.
Role of the Alliance –
- Develop common goals and principles to help guide the work of member organizations
- Catalyze new work and initiatives
- Increase partnering
- Share, build capacity
- Develop and disseminate tools
- Increase public involvement in local conservation
MGA members work on serious issues across complex landscapes that are ecologically, culturally, and economically diverse to:
- Help residents become more active and healthy through outdoor recreation and nature exploration
- Clean our air and protect our water supplies
- Restore nature and conserve biodiversity
- Provide safe places for children to play in nature
- Find “green” solutions to our infrastructure challenges
- Reduce and mitigate the effects of climate change
- Create non-motorized travel options that reduce transportation costs and our dependence on foreign oil
- Engage diverse communities in environmental stewardship
Together, the coalitions leverage funding and increase the impact and efficiency of conservation investments in metropolitan environments.
Learn more about the Metropolitan Greenspaces Alliance members.